Tuesday 29 April 2014

Unit 3: Romey & J - Baz Luhrmann (Blog 2)

We watched the Baz Luhrman movie  (1996) version of Romeo and Juliette in drama class. It was originally a play written by William Shakespeare. It is set in modern day time but they speak in Shakespearean language from the original script of Romeo and Juliette. 

I think that he interpreted it very well but some parts have also been interpreted in a way that I don't think works. I will touch on this more later.

Some clear Shakespearean elements were used in the movie. This includes Shakespearean language. It is used throughout the entire movie although some of the parts are in modern day English. This is because it was not in the original script for Rome and Juliette.

I do think that Baz Luhrman is very talented but, in my opinion, I do't really like this version of the play. This is for many things to do with the language the setting and also the interpretation of the play. I do not like the characterization of Mercutio in this version as I think that it is very over the top. I also don't like the fact that they are in a modern day world with cars and guns but are still speaking in Shakespearean language. I think that they should have either stuck to the original time that the play was set in, or change the script so that it is in modern day English. One other thing I on't like is some of the interpretations. Like when they take a drug in the Luhrman version. I don't think that it works and it makes the movie also very confusing.
I do like some parts of the movie as well though. For example I love the modern day setting because it allows us to more fully understand the story line as it is easier to relate to for our generation.

I agree with the argument that this movie was a bad idea. This is because of reasons said before. I think Shakespeare would agree that Luhrman tried his best but the movie did not quite work and did not do justice to the works of Romeo and Juliette or even Shakespeare himself.

This has been and evaluation and movie review of Baz Luhrman's Romeo and Juliette (1996)

BYE! xx

Sources:
http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/romeo-and-juliet-1996
http://www.nytimes.com/movie/review?res=9C0CE7D91139F932A35752C1A960958260
http://peggy8_8.tripod.com/baz.html
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2001/sep/07/1







No comments:

Post a Comment