Monday 13 January 2014

Are Commedia dell'Arte characters relevant to modern day audiences?

HELLO!

This was a question given to me by my drama teacher. I had to think about it for a while but I think I got it figured out. Here is my answer.

I think that the characters are relevant to modern day audiences. I think this because if we look closely at our lives, we see there is an Arlechinno, Capitano and Pantalone in the modern day! There is always a person of low status (poverty) an outsider (foreigners) and someone at the top of the food chain (government). 

In my own life, I see many examples of these characters. Since I live in Bangladesh, there is poverty all around me. Every day, I see people begging on the street and trying to sell things to others. I also see many foreigners here who have come here for work like my dad. And right at the top we have the Bangladeshi government who have way too much power to me. 

It's the same with TV shows. There is most defiantly someone who is worth nothing to others like a side character. Then there is the outsider, the loner who is always alone and trying to be someone else. Then, of course, there is the main character who the show revolves around.

To me, Commedia dell'Arte is linked to everything around us. We may not notice it, but it is.

Bye! xox 

No comments:

Post a Comment